Facebook is increasingly the social engine of choice for businesses seeking to engage their clients—and your HOA can do likewise, using Facebook to generate engagement and enthusiasm among your community members. While many HOAs still use old-fashioned newsletters or e-mail blasts—and while we do heartily recommend these tools—the lines of communication can also be opened through an active HOA Facebook page. The question is how.
1. We will start with the obvious: For sharing big news items and upcoming events in the life of your HOA, a Facebook account is invaluable. In many ways, it is even better than a newsletter, as you can share more timely pieces of information and get the word out about things that are happening “on the fly.” For keeping your community members apprised of meetings, events, and get-togethers, Facebook is wildly effective.
2. You can use Facebook to inform your members about upcoming community events, but also about more general homeowners tips. Facebook is a great place to post lawn maintenance tips, energy savings tips, and so forth—educating homeowners and showing them that you care!
3. Some HOAs use Facebook to celebrate community members, perhaps posting photos of particularly nice-looking lawns or gardens. Just make sure you avoid any signs of favoritism, and that you always get permission from homeowners before photographing their properties!
4. You might use Facebook to share a reminder of HOA rules and regulations, as appropriate—for example, a friendly reminder about Christmas light policies, once Thanksgiving winds to a close.
5. Finally, Facebook is, above all, meant to be fun—so engaging your community members with the occasional cartoon or funny photo is certainly appropriate!
Of course, it is always important to read up on things like Facebook privacy settings, as the world of social media can sometimes be treacherous; for HOA boards seeking to engage their community, however, this is a tool that really can’t be beat!