Steele Creek, Near Fort Mill, South CarolinaCommunity Profile
Fort Mill is a great little South Carolina town to call home—but where in Fort Mill will you move? There are many neighborhoods and communities within and around it, and they all have their own distinct character. One slightly off-the-beaten-path recommendation: The Steele Creek neighborhood. If Fort Mill is where you’re looking to settle, you could certainly do a lot worse than moving into Steele Creek.
To be clear, Steele Creek is actually a part of southwestern Charlotte, and falls just inside the North Carolina and Mecklenburg County lines. With that said, it’s just a couple of miles from Fort Mill, making it an easy drive to both places, and to both Carolinas. Thus, what it offers homeowners is a “best of both worlds” scenario—the suburban feel of Fort Mill life, but also the big-city amenities of Charlotte.
Fast Facts About Steele Creek
A few quick notes about Steele Creek:
- As of a 2008 survey, the population of this neighborhood was about 35,330—roughly two-thirds of which is located within the city limits, the rest just beyond its borders.
- This neighborhood is served by Charlotte’s public school system as well as its public library system.
- It has some major shopping centers, including the wonderful Rivergate area, and it is nearby the beloved Carowinds amusement park.
- South Tryon Street/York Road—a major North Carolina highway—is one of its main thoroughfares.
- Charlotte’s bus system services the area, making it possible to get public transport to Uptown Charlotte and other important neighborhoods.
- Steele Creek offers a major hospital and medical center, including around-the-clock emergency care.
Homes and Communities in Steele Creek
Technically a suburb, in terms of its population density, Steele Creek does offer some excellent homes and lovely neighborhoods. Most of the homes are small-to-medium-sized—that is, two to four bedrooms—and there are also some apartments, high rises, and rental properties to choose from.
Currently, the vacancy rate is a bit below average, so if you find a Steele Creek home that you love, you may want to act on it swiftly!
And for many homeowners, Steele Creek is the best way to do Charlotte—to be close to the Queen City but also just a stone’s throw from Fort Mill. It’s a suburban area that’s as convenient as it is distinctive, and it’s worth checking out!